Sunday, September 28, 2008

Give Them Opportunities To Perform For You

For my birthday this year, Megan asked me what I wanted. I said all I wanted was for my children to put on a play. They did. They created it, everyone had a part, they performed it, and I recorded the whole thing on video. What a Birthday gift! What a memory!

Kids love to perform for their parents. What parent hasn't heard this before, "Look at me! Look at me!"?

The next time they do that, make a big deal about it. Go overboard with praise. But also give them a bit of encouragement to perform for you. Do they enjoy magic tricks? Tell them you'd like to see some magic tricks. Maybe encourage them to put on a magic show. Do they like to dance? Have a dance evening. And then make sure you're on the front row, ready to video the whole thing and brag about it to your friends.

No comments: